Caster's Corner - Livestreaming on Twitch

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Teaching Something Oldschool

A lot of the fun I'm having in playing the classic Star Wars space combat games again comes from the idea that for an entire generation that grew up in the 2000s, these games are new now, and thanks to Steam and Good Old Games, they're more accessible now than they have been for over a decade.

But what about when that happens at home? I subscribed to PC Gamer magazine for quite a few years, and after the latest family move, found one more stack of old magazines that hadn't made the trip into the recycle bin in Washington. I kind of wish they'd all made the trip, but some choices had to be made, and a future that didn't involve showing up in an episode of "Hoarders" won out over my inner Game Mag Weasel.

My oldest son recently discovered this cache of magazines. He had so many questions. "Dad, is Supreme Commander 2 any good?" "Do you have Star Wars: The Old Republic?" "What does a 30% for a game actually mean?"

Oh, my son, I have so much to teach you, and you have so much yet to learn.

You've taken your first step into a larger world

One of the nice things about all these magazines being old though, is that I do have most of the good games accumulated. Sharing that fun with with my kids, and using Steam's Family Sharing system, is going to be fantastic! RTS, MMO, RPG, FPS, the kids are finally getting to the point where I can really share some of my favorite games.


No comments:

Post a Comment